Sunday, March 30, 2003

Eileen just called me and we talked for an hour... you know that's a good friend when you can talk ALL DAY at work everyday and still have things to talk about after work, especially the hours we work right now. She snuck into Stan's office to find the resume of this girl that is going to be starting on Monday. Stan just told us today that a "woman" is starting - guess she's old and stuff. She copied the girl's resume and was telling me all about those spelling errors on there. First of all, this girl had the WRONG phone number on her RESUME!!! She spelled bookkeeper with one K, kept writing "filling" when she means filing, and the grammar that she used to describe her jobs just plain sucked. This is gonna be interesting.

My old boss Mona would have thrown that resume away the second she saw it. She was very anal about little things like that and I'm so glad she was my first real boss (besides the student store and my bro's company, those don't count) - you start off your working life being very meticulous about things and it only helps you out in life. I learned a lot from that job. She had a great filing system and I was so much more organized even in my personal life when I worked for her. She would edit her letters and pleadings countless times before we sent them out; if there was a spelling error, even on a useless cover sheet, we'd reprint it. My grammar was so much better when I worked for her too... I feel like I'm wasting away at this job right now because I'm just not being challenged. I know the bulk of my time is going to be checking the new girl's work now. Even with the last assistant (a UCLA grad), I had to check his work so much that my work piled up because I'd rather do it myself and get it right. I would have lunch with the other attorneys and we'd have meaningful conversations about current events and stuff like that. You learn so much from people who are that accomplished in life. Eileen is great and she's a great friend/mentor but its not the same. The only complaint I had about Mona was that she'd do everything last minute and I'm sure I lost a couple years off my life because of the stress I went through. It has helped me a lot though. A couple weeks ago, the assistant was panicking because he couldn't get the business tax license forms out by the time the mailman came to pick up the mail (5pm)... I told him not to worry because he can go across the street to the mall and their pickup time was 6pm... a whole HOUR! Even with that he was still panicking... Mona used to finish her pleadings at 3:45 (clerk's office closes at 4), I'd have to make copies, sort them out, put the blue backing on the court copies, put the DA's copies in envelopes, stamp them original and copies, etc. etc... run to Mona's car and we'd rush to the court house... I'd have to go through security and run to the basement of the court house. 99% of the time we made it though. My current boss Stan panics at every little thing and it gets annoying. Eileen and I hide stuff from him and take care of it ourselves just to save ourselves from having to listen to the 15 minute panic attack.

No comments: