Monday, January 12, 2004

Nebraska Names Callahan Football Coach - can't believe someone hired that ass so quickly. I think this was his ulterior motive all season so he made every Raider/Raider's fan's life miserable. Tim Brown is a classy guy and he wouldn't just come out and blast his coach like this if there wasn't something wrong.

Anytime I think I have my "life" figured out, something always comes up to throw me off. I had a plan set out - stay at this job until January 2004 and in the meantime, take my CPA exams, get certified (because I already have 2 years work experience under a CPA), get 2 more weeks accrued vacation time, get my Christmas bonus... Last week, Debbie calls me and tells me they have an opening at her company (mid-tier tax firm, better than my current no-tier business management firm) and someone is going to call me to interview me over the phone. Debbie gave them my resume a while ago. I talked to the person on Thursday and she made it seem like the phone interview went really well - she loved that I already have experience working directly with clients, that I'm signed up to take a CPA review course, that I know Debbie, etc. etc. and she said they would like me to go into the office for an interview and that she would call me on Friday to set up a time for early next week. :( I haven't heard from her yet. Hopefully she'll call soon... I know they take a while with human resources stuff and its tax season so they're busy.

There is no question I'll take the job if they offer it to me but if I do, I'll have to commute again and I can't slack off like I do here sometimes. I won't be able to go home for lunch, I'll have to dress more professional than I do here, I'll have to learn new clients, etc. I realized how comfortable I am in this job and I realize that I'm going nowhere with this firm. I'm already at the highest level I can get at this firm and I've only been here 2 years! I'm stuck in a rut here and I need to leave, either with this job or a job I'll find sometime early next year. I seriously feel brain cells dying here!! My grammar has gotten so bad because I haven't had to use it and because I'm surrounded by assistants who barely speak English. When I was working for the attorney, I was cranking out professional sounding letters left and right. Now it takes me an hour to come up with a shitty cover letter - "Dear blah blah blah, Enclosed is a check for this and that amount, which is payment in full for blah blah blah. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the numbers listed above." The 'If you have any questions' line I stole from my days of working for Mona. She ended all her letters that way. Oh - I actually know the attorney who took care of Britney's annulment... he is really good friends with Mona's former boss Don (Don and Mona have offices next to each other) and he used to come in to chat with Don and Mona whenever he was in LA.

One of my new clients came in last week and I was just thinking about how screwed he'd be if/when I left. I'm the only one that knows everything going on in his account and I set up all the Quickbooks files for him. The books aren't complete yet because he still needs to give us more info. I think all this stuff will be easy for someone to take over, but this company is so cheap and they like to hire so many FOBs who barely speak English, I don't know if they'll find someone who the clients will be happy with. Daniel was good and he's still here (not for long either cause I know he's sending out resumes too - we chat on IM all the time) but the big company isn't gonna give him up - they need him to go out on audits. If they send any of these other people we have working here, the clients will be pissed. I don't know how to tell Stan I'm quitting too if I get that job. He's gonna panic (cause he always does) - it takes him forever to hire someone and its almost tax season. I have to tell him the truth about why I'm leaving too, I can't do what the other people who have quit have said - examples: I'm moving back to Hong Kong, The commute is too long, or I'm getting married and moving to Las Vegas...

No comments: