I'm so happy. The Ally McBeal reruns on FX right now are the ones with Robert Downey Jr. He is so talented... I love him! I stopped watching the show after he left. I still remember when Jenny and I walked past him at the UCLA Medical Center (his driver was putting quarters in the meter) a couple years ago (I think it was during his first bout in jail). I smiled at him before I realized who it was and he smiled back and said hi. I was so happy! Then I asked Jenny if she realized who that was and she didn't even notice!!! I knew it was him for sure because I was watching the news that day and he had a court date that morning - he was wearing the exact same clothes I saw him in that afternoon. (Thats what I miss about UCLA - celebrity and athlete sightings!)
I think the problem with me is that I spent my college/post-college years watching too much TV and I know its not real but I want certain aspects of my life to be/not be like those shows...
Ally McBeal depressed me because these women are in their 30s and still single and I don't want to be like that. I want to be married by 30 but it seems a little hopeless now even though its still 6 years away. I've had one boyfriend in my 24 years and I'm still completely stuck on him, I can't move on. When Robert Downey Jr.'s character came on the show, it just seemed like she finally found the one. He was amazing, so loving and so cute! The show used to depress me a lot because 80% of the episodes ended with Ally walking ALONE in the streets of Boston. She's a successful lawyer, she has the other aspects of her life together, yet she can't find love. The one thing I love about the show is the work environment. Richard Fish opened a practice with his best friend and they hired people they knew back in college to work there. And because it was his own practice, he could run things the way he wanted to.
I always wanted my home environment to be like Friends... Living next door to your best friends, hanging out in each others' apartments 24/7... It reminds me a bit of dorm life. Freshman year in the dorms, I was always in the lounge or in my friend's rooms but I had a room to go back to when I felt like it. And it was all within short walking distance! Now, when I want to hang out with anyone, I'd have to drive and I go home at a decent hour. I remember the countless nights when I was hanging out with friends in the lounge until 3-4am... The show gives me hope about my professional life though - when the show first started, it was about people in their 20s struggling to make ends meet and gradually everyone finally found their way (except Phoebe - I don't know how she ever managed but now the show doesn't focus on money problems anymore). Joey has a steady acting job, Monica is head chef at a restaurant, Ross is a professor now, Rachel works for Ralph Lauren and Chandler was good enough to be head of an office in a different city, then switched jobs and struggled but now he's set. Everyone says the 20s are a time of confusion and by the time you reach your 30s, you just enjoy life. I hope so.
No comments:
Post a Comment