Monday, May 05, 2003

It's starting already... it's only 9:23am on the first day of a regular work week and already that assistant is in here with dumb questions I've answered so many times this past month (I don't know what her problem is - maybe she has to ask the question a couple times for every different company we handle (15), even though we handle all companies the same way! "Geez, maybe we changed the way we do things all of the sudden in the past 2 hours, maybe I should ask her again.") What is wrong with me? Am I just being too critical or too easily annoyed? (I coulda picked up the 'easily annoyed' part from being around Eileen too much) Every morning I tell myself to be more patient but the stupidness bar keeps getting lowered with every passing hour. She's been here a damn month!!

Eileen and I would be the first to admit that if the assistant was a hot guy, we'd be over at his desk helping him 24/7. But this assistant is an Asian woman in her 30s with a strong strong accent who smells like mothballs. Maybe we have a predisposed bias against Asians who didn't grow up in the US and who don't "get things" the way we do. I just don't know what it is but so many people I know who have assistants are always complaining about their assistants. I was visiting Mona (my old boss) the other day, and she was complaining about her current assistant. She hated the people that worked for her before I started with her, and after I left. She even complained about the people who took over my job when I left for a quarter or so because of school, etc... but she was always gushing about me to everyone... hmmm... oh. I wonder if I was bad when I first started working here. Stan said something about this new girl being on a "trial basis" but he never said that about me or even the person who took over my job after I got promoted. I'm embarrassed I complained about him too but he was nowhere near as bad as this girl is. He could at least remember the stuff we told him and he'd find ways to think on his own (wasn't always the right thing but at least he tried).

I KNOW Dante can do a much better job at that position than this lady can. Yeah, he may be irresponsible and move from job to job but Eileen and I would be covering his ass all the time anyway. We've always said, give us raises and we can handle the company, just the two of us. Stan wants a college grad for the job though, so that would rule Dante out - my UCLA degree was my 'foot in the door'. And, the fact that I was into sports in general and that I knew UCLA sports... I knew I had the job before my interview.

... She's in here again! Stan gave her a project to do and she has some questions. First of all, why is Stan giving a "project" to someone who can barely do deposits?? I don't know why she's asking me either because I don't know what Stan wants her to do and I don't even know what she's trying to ask me!! I was so pissed off last week I had to go to Felita (another employee here, doesn't work directly with us) to bitch about her. She was asking where to file this one client's accounting expenses invoices and I told her to make a new folder and put it in the drawer where I have everything else because I wasn't sure where Asher had everything and we'd add those to the old ones when we do find them... she goes to Stan and asks him what to do with it, Stan buzzes me and gives me a hard time about it ("where are all the other ones", etc). Then she comes back in here and says she's sorry she forgot and asked Stan about that, and I tell her AGAIN to make a new folder and put it in the drawer - I actually OPEN the drawer show her where... she's there for like 2 minutes and then she says, "I can't find the folder." AAAARGH!!! Did this girl have any previous experience working anywhere??

I'm glad I brought some CDs from home... just what I need to destress - Justin Guarini's voice :) telling me he can "hardly wait hold [me], feel [his] arms around [me]..." Don't worry Justin, I won't ever let you go... heehee.

No comments: